[fpc-pascal] Questions from Semi-Beginner

CSlemaker cssxx1 at cox.net
Fri Feb 19 22:06:08 CET 2021

Title:  OS Upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 – Free Pascal Consequences ?

I am currently running under Windows 7 but I MUST upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.
My questions relate to the version of the Pascal compiler I've been using for years
and compatibility of the numerous object-code files produced by that compiler.

The version of Free Pascal which I am currently using is:

   Free Pascal IDE for Win32 for i386
   Target CPU: i386
   Version 1.0.12 2013/02/12 **Note 2013
   (Compiler Version 2.6.2)
   (Debugger GDB 7.2)

Current computer is:
   Dell Precision T1700
   Processor:  Intel Xeon CPU E3-1225 v3 3.2 GHz, 32/64 bit
   RAM:  8 GB

Will I need to recompile my Pascal source files for object compatibility with Win 10?
Should I install the latest version of Free Pascal, and if so, which version is that?
Will I have any compatibility problems with my source codes and an up-to-date compiler?

Any other suggestions or precautions?

Thank you very, very much.

Carroll Slemaker   cssxx1 at cox.net

P.S. - "Lazarus" is a term I'm not familiar with.  Is it a completely new IDE for Free
   Pascal?  Is there a document which describes differences with the old IDE?
   Is the old IDE still available in case I have trouble with Lazarus?

Thanks again.