[fpc-pascal] Hello, new Pascal programmer. had a question!

geneb geneb at deltasoft.com
Tue Aug 31 15:52:50 CEST 2021

On Tue, 31 Aug 2021, Liam Proven via fpc-pascal wrote:

> Plain old FreePascal is approachable. Object Pascal is deeply
> intimidating, and I'm not sure it's worth the entry price.

Liam, I think you're mixing the language with the framework.

I'll be the first person to agree with you that doing a gui application in
Delphi (and realistically, any RAD environment) can be intimidating if you
don't know that you're looking at "event driven programming" vs
"procedural programming"  With a Delphi/VB/Etc GUI application,
/everything/ (for the most part) is kicked off by an event of some kind.
A mouse movement, button click, etc.  This can be painfully confusing - it
was for me when I started working with VB 3.0 when it was released (I'd
skipped VB DOS & 2.0).

You can easily write procedural programs in Delphi, but you have to create
a "console" project first in order to do that.  The same holds true for
FPC, but FPC's default is console.

For the OP, if they would like to use Lazarus, they just need to make sure
that when they create a new project, that it's a console mode project.

Make sense?

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007