[fpc-pascal] Hello, new Pascal programmer. had a question!

Bart bartjunk64 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 11:45:37 CEST 2021

On Sat, Aug 28, 2021 at 3:21 PM joseph turco via fpc-pascal
<fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

> I am a new programmer, and I thought I'd learn Pascal.

You're very welcome.

> I saw that with FreePascal, most users are using Lazarus. I don't want to use this and would rather work in the console,
> and use the free pascal IDE.I'm not really interested in using any GUI tools.

Assuming that you have modern hardware that you do your programming on:
Even if you only want to write console programs, using Lazarus as your
IDE hase advantages over using the FP IDE.
The Lazarus IDE comes with CodeTools which has code completion and
much, much more features that you cannot do without once you're used
to having them, even if you only use a few of them.
I know: I came from D3 Pro, which at that time was a better compiler
and a more stable IDE than Lazarus 0.9.something.
But every time I came back to D3 (even just for testing something), I
ended up trying to do Ctrl-Click on an identifier (to see it's
definition: the IDE opens the source file at the position where it is
declared), Ctrl+C on a variable in a new line of code, (just to
declare it in the relevant var section) and of course that does not
work.

So, if you're on Windows, *nix or a Mac, my advice is to use Lazarus
as your IDE of choice.

--
Bart