[fpc-pascal] Hello, new Pascal programmer. had a question!

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun Aug 29 10:12:12 CEST 2021

On Fri, 27 Aug 2021, joseph turco via fpc-pascal wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am a new programmer, and I thought I'd learn Pascal. I saw that with
> FreePascal, most users are using Lazarus. I don't want to use this and
> would rather work in the console, and use the free pascal IDE. I'm not
> really interested in using any GUI tools. I was looking for a book that
> teaches free pascal without the GUI stuff, that has a lot of examples in
> it, but i cannot find anything of the sort. This has made me turn to Turbo
> Pascal books, and i am currently reading "Learn Turbo Pascal in three
> days". When i use the free pascal IDE to write code, and compile it, i have
> no issues. When i go to run my program, any text i have printed, will mix
> in with the terminal/console text, and doesn't just print at the bottom
> like i would expect.

That's how TP did it in days long past, so this is normal behaviour.
The CRT unit allowed you to write on any part of the screen, so the output
of the program was written in a separate screen.

> This has made me turn to using emacs, and then just
> compiling the code in the terminal using "fpc -Mtp <filenname.pas>". My
> question is, id like to use the free pascal IDE, and learn the more
> modern(?) form of pascal, but i cannot find a resource for beginners that
> will teach me with a lot of examples, and not walls of text, just for
> non-GUI applications. Does anyone know if such a book exists? Many thanks!

To my knowledge there are no recent books like that.
The most recent book I know of was 'Learning to program using Lazarus', but
as you see from the title, it uses lazarus.

Michael.