[fpc-pascal] How to get fpc and lazarus sources when svn has shut down?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 16:39:56 CEST 2021

On Thu, 12 Aug 2021 02:08:25 -0400, Dmitry Boyarintsev via fpc-pascal
<fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

>On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 2:00 AM Bo Berglund via fpc-pascal <
>fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:
>

>> What could I replace these svn co (or svn export) calls with?
>>
>the current:
>svn co https://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpc/tags/$FPCTAG/ $FPCVER
>turns into:
>svn co https://github.com/fpc/FPCSource/tags/$FPCTAG/$FPCVER

>If you open https://github.com/fpc/ you can find all the mirrors are there.
>And this is the official Github mirror, so all the latest changes should be
>reflected there pretty quickly.

Thanks,
that would be a good solution by not involving git at all...

I will change my links in the script for fpc 3.2.2 and lazarus 2.0.12 like this:

svn co https://github.com/fpc/FPCSource/tags/release_3_2_2 3.2.2

svn co https://github.com/fpc/Lazarus/tags/lazarus_2_0_12 2.0.12

Tested these on an RPi4 with 4GB RAM on a 24 MBps mobile broadband connection:

checkout times:
fpc:     12m 35s
lazarus:  6m 37s

Checkout size:
fpc:     697 Mb, 352 Mb in .svn/
lazarus: 392 Mb, 192 Mb in .svn/

Also tried svn export rather than svn co:

svn export https://github.com/fpc/FPCSource/tags/release_3_2_2 3.2.2x

svn export https://github.com/fpc/Lazarus/tags/lazarus_2_0_12 2.0.12x

checkout times:
fpc:      4m 10s
lazarus:  1m 09s

Checkout size:
fpc:     345 Mb
lazarus: 199 Mb

Not verified by building fpc and lazarus on this machine yet.
But it is clear that svn export is what should be in the script anyway to save
both time and disk space...

Thanks again, this was what I needed to know! :)

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden