[fpc-pascal] Separate release cycle for RTL and compiler proposal

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Apr 19 09:54:08 CEST 2021

On Mon, 19 Apr 2021, Karoly Balogh via fpc-pascal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2021, Michael Van Canneyt via fpc-pascal wrote:
>
>> > The main remaining problem is our hard-wrapped readme and whatsnew files
>> > that look terrible in its installer (because it also performs wrapping
>> > and it uses a proportional font, so many hard-wrapped lines get wrapped
>> > again). So at least the changed/new parts need manual unwrapping every time.
>> >
>> > For Mac OS X/PowerPC there is the additional issue that the tool to
>> > create installer packages that work on Mac OS X 10.4 no longer works
>> > under macOS 10.14, so they have to be created on an older Mac OS X
>> > version (I don't know when it broke exactly).
>>
>> Manual work and requiring an old OS are a problem if you want to automate.
>>
>> From what you say, both problems are related to the tool you use.
>> Are there no other tools that can be used ?
>
> Well, if we're talking about automation, I'm sure some VM can be set up,
> and then it almost doesn't matter which version of macOS it is, until it
> works.

In my experience, MacOS is not well-behaved in VMs, but admittedly it's been
a while since I last tried.

But that does not solve the manual formatting.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for automating as much as possible, but if a
tool requires an old macos, and manually formatting files, my first reaction
is to look for another tool.

Michael.