[fpc-pascal] Abstract classes ignored

Travis Siegel tsiegel at softcon.com
Sun Apr 18 19:56:12 CEST 2021

On 4/18/2021 11:55 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys via fpc-pascal wrote:
> On 17/04/2021 10:09 pm, Sven Barth via fpc-pascal wrote:
>> but Delphi compatbility is more
>> important here, thus the default is a warning and not an error.
> How is this beneficial? The compiler should help the developer, but here
> it was decided that it's beneficial for the program to crash at runtime,
> because follow the broken Delphi compiler is more important! *shrug*
>
> Such decisions really make me worry about the future of FPC. It ends up
> being NO better than Delphi, so why bother using FPC then. Stick to
> Delphi instead.

If you're willing to pay for me to obtain a delphi license, then I'd
happily switch.  Seeing as how they charge over a thousand dollars even
during their supposed sales, I have no interest in spending that kind of
money for an environment that FPC offers for free. That means I don't
have to spend my limited income on a license for a program I use a few
times a year.

Admittedly, part of the reason I use it so rarely is because I really
need to dig into it's gui and tcp capabilities (I program from the
ocmmand prompt, but being able to generate gui screens on the fly would
be nice).  I know Delphi can do this, but the last time I asked them
about pricing, they told me it'd cost $1000 for just delphi 7, and that
only costed $995 when it first came out, nearly 20 years ago.  I refuse
to support that kind of price gouging, even if I could afford it.

But, as I said, if you're willing to foot the bill, I'd happily use it,
as it does indeed have (some) advantages.