[fpc-pascal] Abstract classes ignored

Jonas Maebe jonas at freepascal.org
Sun Apr 18 18:08:34 CEST 2021

On 18/04/2021 17:55, Graeme Geldenhuys via fpc-pascal wrote:
> On 17/04/2021 10:09 pm, Sven Barth via fpc-pascal wrote:
>> but Delphi compatbility is more
>> important here, thus the default is a warning and not an error.
>
> How is this beneficial? The compiler should help the developer,

People who want to compile code in both FPC and Delphi are developers
too. People who want to use their knowledge of Delphi to program in FPC
are developers too.

You can never make everyone happy, and sometimes we go for
incompatibility by default, and sometimes we don't. In this case, you
can easily make it an error yourself with {$warn 4046 error}.

> Such decisions really make me worry about the future of FPC. It ends up
> being NO better than Delphi, so why bother using FPC then. Stick to
> Delphi instead.

It's not like this is a new policy that you just discovered, so please
stop already with the flamebait drama about how this makes you worry
about the future of FPC.

Jonas