[fpc-pascal] Background info on Generics in FPC

Ryan Joseph genericptr at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 21:56:11 CEST 2021

> On Apr 17, 2021, at 1:07 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys via fpc-pascal <fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> I'm looking at the wiki and official FPC language documentation. What was
> the reason for the decision to make the FPC syntax so verbose regarding
> Generics?

There is a plan to make these optional via a mode switch but it hasn't happened yet. Personally I like the "generic" keyword but the specialize keyword is annoying if you don't make a type alias (and for function calls of course). Implicit function specialization is already ready so at least we won't need to use <> at all for function calls.

Regards,
	Ryan Joseph