[fpc-pascal] String literals and code page of .pas source file

Santiago A. svaa at ciberpiula.net
Sat Sep 12 16:58:37 CEST 2020

El 09/09/2020 a las 10:02, Bart via fpc-pascal escribió:
> On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 8:37 AM LacaK via fpc-pascal
> <fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:
>
>> I am still confused how this CodePage aware stuff is expected to work and when implicit conversios are included (as far as I understand here ONLY declared/static codepage plays role) and when dynamic codepage is taken into account and when not?
> You are not the only one.

Yeah. In fact, we could set up several self-help groups of codepage
victims ;-)

https://wiki.freepascal.org/Unicode_Support_in_Lazarus#Assign_string_literals_to_different_string_types
is scaring.

All the doubts, questions, and discussions prove that current system is
counter-intuitive and confusing.
I'm sorry, I don't want to bash, but code pages system must be revised
almost from scratch, even breaking compatibility. It is a heavy lodge
that FPC is carrying. The longer it takes to get rid of it, the worse.

--
Saludos

Santiago A.