[fpc-pascal] Lazarus complains that it cannot find a dependency, why?

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Wed Oct 28 20:36:07 CET 2020

Op 02-09-2020 om 00:21 schreef Bo Berglund via fpc-pascal:
> On Tue, 01 Sep 2020 23:55:08 +0200, Tomas Hajny via fpc-pascal
> <fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:
>
>> Well, I believe that this supposed mystery may be resolved easily. ;-)
>> First of all - have you tried to find out what does the displayed error
>> number (232) mean? Quick searching reveals that runtime error 232 may
>> signalize that you try to use threads without having a thread manager
>>
>> Hope this helps

> Yes it does!

> This is how it looks like in the dpr file:
>
> program SerialTest;
>
> {$mode objfpc}{$H+}
>
> uses
>    {$IFDEF UNIX}{$IFDEF UseCThreads}
>    cthreads,
>    {$ENDIF}{$ENDIF}

It's an old message, but maybe I can shine some light onto the issue. A
Lazarus package can add a define. So by adding a dependency on the
LazSerial package, the UseCThreads define is added to your project.

That is why adding a dependency solved the problem. And apperently
LazSerial also uses the cthreads unit. When that happens, and the unit
is not also the first used unit, you do not get rhe runtime-error 232,
but 211.

Regards,

Joost.