[fpc-pascal] Converting date formats

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Oct 3 18:37:48 CEST 2020

On Sat, 3 Oct 2020, Ryan Joseph via fpc-pascal wrote:

> I have some dates formats like this which I would like to convert to TDateTime. Are these supported in the RTL? I tried using the StrToDate functions but I got errors.
>
> program test;
> uses
>  SysUtils;
> begin
>  StrToDate('2001-12-14T21:59:43.10Z-05:00');
> end.

Do you ever read the documentation ?

You might then have read why the above will never work.

You probably need this:

https://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/current/rtl/dateutils/iso8601todate.html

or even this

https://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/current/rtl/dateutils/scandatetime.html

If you need full timezone handling, then there are no such routines in the
RTL. However, there is somewhere a package (I believe it is mentioned in the
wiki) that handles timezones and whatnot.

Michael.