[fpc-pascal] Compilation speed on Apple M1

Tobias Giesen tobiasgiesen at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 12:54:12 CET 2020

Hello,

first and foremost, many thanks to the creators and contributors of FPC
and Lazarus, who enabled me to release my product natively for Apple
Silicon only one day after receiving an M1 Mac. Fantastic work! FPC and
Lazarus both run natively and work very well.

According to Geekbench, the single core performance on the new Mac is
around 1.8x as fast as my Intel Mac. Multicore is also much faster. I
wonder why I don't see the speed increase in compiling though. Yes I am
using different FPC and XCode versions, but I wonder what else could
have an influence? My project is very large and not divided into
packages, so I frequently need to recompile the whole project.

I would be most grateful for any performance tips.

Cheers,
Tobias