[fpc-pascal] How to implement a simple tcp/ip connection?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Sun May 17 09:52:56 CEST 2020

On Sat, 16 May 2020 23:24:34 +0100, Graeme Geldenhuys
<mailinglists at geldenhuys.co.uk> wrote:

>> Well the simplest way to get Indy10 into Lazarus is via Online Package
>> Manager!
>
>Do they (whoever it might be) keep it up to date with the lastest Indy?

I believe that it is actually Remy Lebeau who is doing that (I might
be wrong)..
In any case I received Indy 10.6.2 when I installed through OPM from
Lazarus 2.0.8 on Windows.

>> it is a rather steep climb since Indy10 is entirely blocking and the
>> Delphi components were event driven.
>
>Indy devs explain it here. Blocking is not evil.
>
>  https://www.swissdelphicenter.ch/en/showarticle.php?id=4

Yes, I know that it is not evil, but if you are stuck with a rather
big Delphi application that is proven to work with the TServerSocket
and using events to handle "everything" then it is much more difficult
to turn to Indy during porting to FPC and then on to Linux...

As you might have seen in various posts I have made recently I am
trying to port a Windows service application written in
Delphi7/Delphi2007 running on Windows to FPC/Lazarus in order to then
move on to Linux.

I have worked my way through it in Delphi 2007 to add ifdefs in a lot
of places in order to prepare for the conversion into Lazarus and now
I am in Lazarus trying to weed out the remaining issues. Not close
yet...
But it seems like my use of LNet in any case has been accepted by
FPC/Lazarus as a replacement for TServerSocket.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden