[fpc-pascal] TurboVision is reborn as FOSS (again)

gabor gabor at poczta.onet.pl
Sat Dec 26 15:45:13 CET 2020

W dniu 2020-12-22 o 04:57, Nikolay Nikolov via fpc-pascal pisze:
>> Anyway, any interest to develop Free Vision further is very welcome one,
>> so we can move it from past tense to a future one. I still think text mode
>> UI for console and terminals still has a place, but sadly the current FV
>> implementation doesn't necessarily plays well on some Un*x terminals (it's
>> highly dependent on the font, and many other factors), also a mono mode is
>> sorely missing, which is a problem for both some modern and retro use
>> cases. And yeah, on the high-end, Unicode would be needed.
>
> Speaking of Unicode, I have started working on adding Unicode support to
> the keyboard, video and mouse units (which are used internally by FV) in
> the unicodekvm branch. So, if anyone is interested in adding Unicode
> support to FV, take a look at this branch.

Very interesting. But in a future version of the FV (or other TUI
framework) apart from migrating from objects to classes, using component
streaming, collections, etc...  it would be good if the unit "drivers"
were more abstract and not strictly dependent on Video, Mouse and
Keyboard units. Then it will be possible to create a driver that, for
example, renders the screen buffer in a win32-gdi window, or even in
html5 canvas or LCL.

Michał