[fpc-pascal] netdb, TCP, and DNS queries

Noel Duffy noelduffy at xtra.co.nz
Sun Dec 6 20:23:20 CET 2020

On 7/12/20 12:41 am, Michael Van Canneyt via fpc-pascal wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Dec 2020, Noel Duffy via fpc-pascal wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Following up on the work I've being doing to add support for DNS queries over TCP to netdb and to add support for querying all of the standard resource types such as MX, SOA, TXT, NS, etc, I've added the proposed changes to a note in the Bugtracker:
>>
>> https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=37906#c127368
>>
>> This isn't yet in patch form. I've just created a copy of netdb.pp and renamed it to newnetdb.pp. I'm posting about it now to get some feedback on it.
>
> In general it looks good. 2 remarks:
>
> I did see you removed the comments about byte order, I don't think that's a good idea, these comments have their use :-)

Which comments are you referring to? See my comments below about using 3.2.0.

> The second point is that you removed the USE_LIBC define.
> The netdb unit works only with USE_LIBC on Android.

I've gone back and done a diff with the original netdb.pp and I'm not seeing any mention of libc. I based my version on the one that shipped with 3.2.0, not trunk. 3.2.0 has these defines:

  {$DEFINE ETC_BY_ENV}
  {$DEFINE SFN_VERSION}
  {$DEFINE ETC_BY_ENV}
  {$DEFINE SFN_VERSION}
  {$DEFINE ETC_BY_ENV}
  {$DEFINE SFN_VERSION}
  {$DEFINE UNIX_ETC}

All of these are in the new version as well. Perhaps I need to redo the changes against trunk to avoid confusion.