[fpc-pascal] FPC coding standards

Dwight Schauer das at teegra.net
Mon Aug 17 14:01:18 CEST 2020

Hello FPC Pascal users,

Is there a default ptop.cfg somewhere that follows the FPC coding standards?

https://wiki.freepascal.org/Coding_style

I'm not looking to submit any PR in the near future, I just want to
be able to automatically reformat my code to conform to what I consider
a reasonable standard, rather than having to enforce that manually.

Or config for any other invoked from the command line reformatting
tool. I don't use IDEs in my regular development work flow (so if
Lazarus has this feature, and it can't be invoked from the command
line, it won't help me).

The default config generated by ptop definitely does not conform to
the standards...

I guess I could write my own ptop.cfg for this... But it seems like
with "Some people might think that the coding style used in the FPC
compiler and base RTL (run-time library) source code is a little bit
strange. But it has been in use for a lot of years and is not subject
to discussion. So take the following as a standard to be used." that
there should be tool configuration that can do that automatically.

With C/C++ even if I'm just working on my own stuff (not in a team), I
can use tools like indent or clang-tidy. I know, FPC is not C/C++, but
is still nice to be able to have some tool enforce a consistent style
regardless what language I'm using.

Sincerely,

Dwight Schauer