[fpc-pascal] Search path order for fpc.cfg

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Apr 11 14:30:38 CEST 2020

On Sat, 11 Apr 2020, Alexander Grotewohl wrote:

> Why not just provide instructions for installation in the user's home directory, for example. It's what you'd have to do if you didn't have root access anyways. Then you can pretend that it's "cleaner" than just installing it systemwide.
>
> There's a prompt in the freepascal installer that asks for the prefix. Your users should be capable of that?

Exactly.

On unix, a simple 'unzip' is simply not the standard way to do things.

As I said, all programs that work like that ask you to execute some script
(in your .bashrc or .cshrc) to set some environment variable. You can simply do the
same, or as Alexander points out, use the provided installer script from fpc.

You reason from a windows perspective. This is seldom a good idea on Unices.

Michael.