[fpc-pascal] Illegal counter variable?

DougC doug at moosemail.net
Wed Sep 11 19:09:24 CEST 2019

Actually, the original code used two VARs, not typed CONST. One VAR was initialized and one was not. I think this is a bug and should be fixed.

As Jonas already pointed out:

"var i : longint = 0;" is internally handled using the same code path as

"const i : longint = 0", and typed constants cannot be used as counter

variables. This is indeed probably a bug.

---- On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 12:40:57 -0400  <mailto:scoxbike at shaw.ca> wrote ----

Yes, off topic. The initial poster's code had the loop variable declared as an initialized constant. Not as a true variable. No FPC in hand, I can't test if setting 'assignable typed constants = true' would permit the use of an initialized typed constant or not.