[fpc-pascal] Illegal counter variable?

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 11 17:11:37 CEST 2019

James Richters <james at productionautomation.net> schrieb am Mi., 11. Sep.
2019, 16:24:

> How do you get ‘By’ to work?   I have downto working but if I try ‘By’ I
> get
>

> Fatal: Syntax error, "DO" expected but "identifier BY" found

Did you see anywhere that said that this bug report was resolved and the
patch integrated into trunk?

> If FPC is going to support downto and by, why not also support changing
> the control variable when not in {$Mode TP} as well, and just make a note
> that doing so may not be compatible with other pascal compilers.. but who
> cares anyway FPC is better than all the others anyway 😊

There is no interest in lifting that restriction. Out of the dialects that
FPC supports TP is the only one that does not. Even Wirth advised against
allowing it.

Also FPC already supports downto. Just like TP and Delphi do...

Regards,
Sven