[fpc-pascal] Illegal counter variable?

James Richters james at productionautomation.net
Tue Sep 10 14:14:08 CEST 2019

I’m trying to use it in a way that always worked in Turbo Pascal for DOS, I have no idea how to program in C,  I find Pascal much more clear and easy to follow and C just confuses me, so I never spent much time other than a few stray projects here and there on C…  I’ve always used pascal since the 80s, and in fact my units that change the for loop variable that run in {$Mode TP} are the original code from turbo pascal written in the 80s.. over the decades I’ve modified stuff all around it, but the actual code with for loops with changing control variables is the exact same code I was running on old 4.7MHz Dos machines with turbo pascal for DOS…  so for nearly 40 years I have never even known there was some rule against changing the control variable in for loops,  it’s always worked and I’ve always used it.. and it still works if I use {$Mode TP}  it may not work if I try to use Delphi or something else, and there may be some pascal version even older than turbo pascal for DOS that didn’t act this way, but from the entire scope of my programming experience, this is something that has just always worked and I never had a reason not to use it.

James