[fpc-pascal] Very vague gettickcount64 description?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri Sep 6 20:02:23 CEST 2019

On Fri, 6 Sep 2019, Yuriy Sydorov wrote:

> On 06.09.2019 17:06, Tomas Hajny wrote:
>> The documentation is vague on purpose - due to the variety of platforms
> supported by FPC and the low-level nature of
>> GetTickCount, we do not want to guarantee specific units (GetTickCount is
> supposed to be supported directly by the
>> platform rather than having an additional RTL layer possibly unifying
> differences in platform behaviour on top of it).
>
> IMO the result of GetTickCount without defined measure units is useless.

Each his opinion.

For example, I think GetTickCount is utterly useless.

I have never used it, never will and I have nevertheless already done
plenty of time measurements.

Depending on the platform, gettickcount falls back on Now(). This does not have a
millisecond precision. This call can take a time of up to 90 ms.
So saying that gettickcount has millisecond precision would be simply
incorrect.

What I will do is explain in the documentation why the units are not
mentioned.

Michael.