[fpc-pascal] Very vague gettickcount64 description?

DougC doug at moosemail.net
Fri Sep 6 16:15:37 CEST 2019

If intentionally vague then that fact should be included in the description along with the reason!

---- On Fri, 06 Sep 2019 10:06:24 -0400 Tomas Hajny <XHajT03 at hajny.biz> wrote ----

On 2019-09-03 15:27, Paulo Costa wrote:
> While consulting the online reference about gettickcount
> https://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/sysutils/gettickcount64.html
> I could not know anything about the units involved.
>
> It says "It is useful for time measurements, but no assumtions should
> be made as to the interval between the ticks."
>
> I understand that in some cases the measure may deviate from the real
> value but perhaps, at least the units, should be stated.

The documentation is vague on purpose - due to the variety of platforms
supported by FPC and the low-level nature of GetTickCount, we do not
want to guarantee specific units (GetTickCount is supposed to be
supported directly by the platform rather than having an additional RTL
layer possibly unifying differences in platform behaviour on top of it).