[fpc-pascal] Writing to a drive which may be spun down

Brian b_lists at patandbrian.org
Thu Nov 21 13:52:33 CET 2019

On 11/21/19 7:12 AM, wkitty42 at windstream.net wrote:
> On 11/21/19 1:16 AM, Brian wrote:
>> My question: Is there a standard method for handling this situation,
>> i.e. making sure that a drive has not spun down, or is it just a case
>> of writing a wrapper round the write function and handling the 'No
>> such file' error with a wait and a retry?
>

> why not just turn off or adjust your power management so that drive
> doesn't spin down when it is connected? i do similar here but for my
> monitors which sometimes don't want to wake back up after being put to
> sleep...

Because on the *overwhelming* majority of occasions, I'm happy for the
drives to sleep if not being accessed. Most things that I do don't
need the USB drives. Bo's idea of a program which kept the drives spun
up had occurred to me if I couldn't find a setting somewhere, but I
was hoping for a solution which didn't require me to either disable
the drive's power management or do constant accesses.

Brian.