[fpc-pascal] Add API to official documentation search

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun Nov 17 23:35:34 CET 2019

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On 17/11/2019 10:20 pm, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>>
>> That would be me.
>
> Thought that much. ;-)
>

>> And there already is an API. How else ? This is Free Pascal !
>>

>> If you look in the browser developer console when using that page,
>> you'll see there are 2 calls available which do return JSON.
>
> My bad, I initially thought Ryan was simply quoting the FPC docs URL
> with a "wish for a search URL". It's only after I sent my first reply
> that I actually clicked on the URL and noticed the search box. Very nice
> to see it available now.
>
> How is the search data generated - via fpdoc? What storage format does
> it use?

Postgres database. the data is generated once from the HTML using fpindex.
All is in SVN. packages/fpindex.

I will of course need to update the database when we release 3.2 and I update the
docs.

> I remember years ago I found a JavaScript search engine that could be
> integrated with fpdoc's HTML output, but that storage format was
> JavaScript (if I remember correctly) and was huge.

Well, that would also have been an option, but I thought it would be nice to
showcase that FPC has all the tools you need for whatever task you set it

Never miss a chance to show off what FPC can do ;-)

Michael.