[fpc-pascal] Bootstrapping the compiler...

Jonas Maebe jonas at freepascal.org
Sat May 18 16:15:59 CEST 2019

On 18/05/2019 15:37, Kevin Lyda wrote:
> So there's no minimal C version of the compiler?

No, since the initial version of the compiler was already written in
Pascal. The compiler can be easily cross-compiled if necessary (it does
not depend on any system libraries), so a (minimal or not) C version of
the compiler would mainly result in a lot of extra maintenance work with
few benefits.

> And by Turbo Pascal, I assume you don't mean 3.01a!

It was indeed Turbo Pascal 7. And soon even Borland Pascal 7, because
DOS real mode did not provide enough memory.

Jonas