[fpc-pascal] unexpected termination with no errors

Karoly Balogh (Charlie/SGR) charlie at scenergy.dfmk.hu
Wed May 15 15:17:01 CEST 2019

Hi,

On Wed, 15 May 2019, James Richters wrote:

> Has anyone encountered anything like this before or know how I can make
> sure I always get the maximum amount of debugging info when my program
> crashes?

Is it a subthreaded app?

The only case when I noticed something similar (under Linux though), when
a certain subthread throws an exception, it just silently disappears
without any further handling. It doesn't throw any exception, unless you
wrap the entire Execute method in a try-except.

(Sidenote: I've been pondering for a while if I should report this as a
bug. I think the RTL should put a try-except around there, to show a
stacktrace on unhandled exceptions, just like the main thread dying does,
but who knows which Delphi de-facto standard behavior would that violate,
so meh...)

In Linux/Darwin (on x64/ARM at least), only the thread causing the problem
dies, no clue what happens under Windows. Maybe this helps.

Charlie