[fpc-pascal] fpPDF and support of Latin2 charset

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri Mar 22 09:16:52 CET 2019

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019, LacaK wrote:

>> I attached 2 patches to the bug tracker which solves the problem for me.
> 1.
> I can confirm, that in my case it is fixed for NO-embedded case only. For
> embedded fonts case there is still small issue (some characters are okay,
> some are shifted) - see attachments
>
> (but looking into PDF there is still in FontDescriptor wrong MissingWidth
> attribute, which does not goes into play AFAICS)
>
> 2.
> Can I ask what is purpose of Sections in PDF structure?
> Because when I want use more than 1 Section I get exception "Dictionary
> element "Count" not found."
> Try:
>   PDF.Sections.AddSection;
>   PDF.Sections[0].Title := 'Section1';
>   PDF.Sections[0].AddPage(PDF.Pages.AddPage);
>
>   PDF.Sections.AddSection;
>   PDF.Sections[1].Title := 'Section2';
>   PDF.Sections[1].AddPage(PDF.Pages.AddPage);

This needs to be looked at...

> 3.
> Would it be possible to add "shortcut" AddPage directly to TPDFDocument,
> which will add Page to last Section or create new section if none exists?
> (if I guess right there is no big usage of sections in user code, so hide
> sections from user POV is no issue)

I think this is a good idea in each case.

> 4.
> How complicated would be add support for digital signing of PDF documents?

My guess is that this is not so easy.

> 5.
> How complicated would be (in case of embedding fonts) subset only those
> characters, which are used in document, not a whole font?
> (or does it works already so?)

It aleready works so if you use poSubsetFont.

> 6.
> Would it be possible to use as default:
> FOPtions := [poCompressFonts, poCompressImages, poPageOriginAtTop,
> poSubsetFont];
> (which are IMO most used options)

Anything is possible, but IMO it's better to encourage people to think about what they're doing.

There is a dutch saying "Laziness is the pillow of the devil."...

Michael.