No subject

Tue Jun 11 14:29:31 CEST 2019

effect.  The main problems I can see with this is that Windows and GTK+ have
totally different methods of constructing and manipulating GUIs and that the
Windows port must imitate the X version, so less-than-efficient workarounds
are inevitable.  And what adds to the problem is that the LCL must imitate
the Windows paradigm (eg, LCLLinux contains equivalents to Windows-API
calls) in order to be even vaguely Delphi-compatible.

The only realistic way Lazarus-made applications can exist on Windows is to
use a native Windows interface.  Lazarus was always designed to be
API-independent, so this wouldn't require a total re-working of the core
parts of Lazarus.  In fact, a native interface is already there (the files
are in the lcl/interfaces/win32 directory of the Lazarus source) and I've
recently updated it so that it compiles and many things work.  It's not very
mature, but the examples can show much of what has been done and that there
is hope in it being doable.

And if you have trouble compiling it, just join the Lazarus mailing list,
explain what's happening or not happening when you try to compile, and I'm
sure they'll be as helpful as always.