[fpc-pascal] Multi helpers

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 28 07:51:58 CET 2019

Ryan Joseph <ryan at thealchemistguild.com> schrieb am Do., 28. Feb. 2019,
03:50:

> posts getting blocked again, just sending this to see if it gets through.
>
> > On Feb 26, 2019, at 9:10 AM, Ryan Joseph <ryan at thealchemistguild.com>
> wrote:
> >

> >> On Feb 26, 2019, at 7:05 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys <
> mailinglists at geldenhuys.co.uk> wrote:
> >>
> >> Rather do as always recommended... develop in a "feature" branch.
> >> Branches are brilliant in Git and most Git commands work better when
> >> branches are used. Also split your changes into multiple smaller
> >> commits. ie: your tests into one commit and your other changes into
> >> another commit. Use commits - they don't cost anything, so no need to go
> >> sparingly on them. ;-)
> >
> > I was actually in a feature branch already. I don’t know how it works
> but only changes made in the active branch (my feature branch) were added
> to the patch.
> >
> > What do you mean split changes into smaller commits? I’ve been working
> on this over months so there were dozens of commits. The final patch that
> was made had a history of all the commits but they were just packed into
> one file (which I thought was easier to distribute than a directory full of
> them).

See below.

> > Still not sure how to keep the tests separate though. I added them in
> over time in a number of commits so it seems not possible to extract them
> now.
> >

> >> Lastly, use the format-patch command but with branches instead.
> >>
> >> git format-patch -o output_directory --cover-letter
> >> <feature_branch>...<master_branch>
> >>
> >> In will generate sequentially numbered set of .patch files in the
> >> <output_directory> and a 0000-cover-letter.patch file. ie: a summary of
> >> what you changed, which is useful for pasting into an email or mantis
> >> report.
> >
> > Does this mean a .patch for each commit? Why is that better than merging
> into one patch?

Yes, though the first step should probably be to rework your commits. It's
a bit of work, but that way you can nicely restructure your commit
history,get rid of unintended changes(1) and maybe group the changes by
functional topic or so...

(1) I don't remember whether it was this branch or another, but one had
unintended and unrelated changes in indentation that you should get rid of.

Regards,
Sven