[fpc-pascal] Realtime and freepascal???

Dennis dec12 at avidsoft.com.hk
Thu May 31 12:40:49 CEST 2018

Darius Blaszyk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For a hard real-time project I am considering using freepascal. As
> this is my first endeavour in real-time I would like to ask the
> community on their experiences. Is FPC suitable for this kind of
> applications? If so what commercially available boards are out there?
> I believe a beagle bone for instance is capable of doing realtime
> applications because of the PRU. Any other credit card size boards
> worthwhile investigating? What RTOS do people have good experience
> with in combination with freepascal?

I am not sure Beagle Bone is a good choice because it seemed to have
supply problem for many years. It is hard to purchase large quantity of it.
In the past, I have use raspberry Pi connected to many simple devices
via a serial bus. The PI acts as a server to accept commands from the
internet and forward them to the devices on the serial bus and pass back
the responses to the internet.  The software was written in FPC.

Also, check out this https://ultibo.org/
Which is an embedded OS written in FPC, so you just modify the source
code to include your application and recompile a new embedded OS for use
with raspberry Pi.
That way, it has lower latency and lower RAM requirement than running
your FPC program on top of the Linux OS.

Dennis