[fpc-pascal] FPC on gaming consoles: XBox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch

R0b0t1 r030t1 at gmail.com
Thu May 10 04:22:59 CEST 2018

On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 5:41 PM, Michalis Kamburelis
<michalis.kambi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering about the possibility to port Castle Game Engine to
> modern gaming consoles.

Having tried to run my own code on these platforms for many years I
have come to the conclusion that any interaction with the platforms
you have listed is a commensurate waste of time. Your effort would be
better spent targetting ARM based Android or Linux consoles that are
seeing a rise in popularity.

On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 8:38 PM, Michalis Kamburelis
<michalis.kambi at gmail.com> wrote:
> The more I was reading about console development, the more I understood that
> the main problem are NDAs that seem to still "guard" the information about
> each consoles closed APIs.

That depends: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_General_Corp._v._Digital_Computer_Controls,_Inc.

    Data General Corp. v. Digital Computer Controls, Inc. was a 1971
case in which the Delaware Court of Chancery determined that
widespread, confidential disclosure of trade secrets does not
necessarily compromise their secrecy.

> This would mean that it is impossible to openly distribute an open-source
> code interfacing with e.g. PlayStation custom OS. Precluding open-source
> support from both FPC and Castle Game Engine for the consoles. Any code that
> uses some API covered by NDA must be closed-source, can be available only to
> people who also signed the NDA.

If you contact MS they may get back to you. Sony or Nintendo not so much.

Cheers,
     R0b0t1