[fpc-pascal] Proposal for new Free Pascal logo

Alexander Grotewohl alex at dcclost.com
Sat Mar 31 18:43:14 CEST 2018

I can't help but feel like they'd still just download regular fpc and
use it at the console with the help of a minimal syntax highlighting
editor. Don't get me wrong, that's exactly how I like to use fpc, but I
already know lazarus is awesome for all the bells and whistles.

The problem with the types of classes that use pascal for teaching is
the same as the ones that use BASIC: They just want to teach you looping
and using variables and stuff. The absolute basics. In these instances
it doesn't matter how cool the language is if you're not an experienced
enough programmer to use it. Perhaps a decent target would be a database
course, where Lazarus has a better chance to shine, and the users
actually have a chance to see what's in the RTL/LCL/etc.

As an aside, I don't think the pascal community is that small, it's just
spread out. There are a lot of other implementations people cling to
(myself included).

Alex