[fpc-pascal] Default record fields

Ryan Joseph ryan at thealchemistguild.com
Fri Jun 22 16:18:51 CEST 2018

> On Jun 22, 2018, at 6:19 PM, Karoly Balogh (Charlie/SGR) <charlie at scenergy.dfmk.hu> wrote:
>
> Because C# and Shift are managed languages, and C++ just includes
> everything for no good reason. And this is actually major, with far
> fetching implications. C++ is an utter mess for this, with the default
> initializer sometimes called and sometimes not, when you declare a
> variable of this type. Because if you pull the way computers work into the
> equation, it complicates things a lot. It matters where you define a
> variable of this type. On the heap, on the stack or on the global variable
> list, you have to compile different code for this, and you are probably
> won't be able to cover all corner cases. (Eg. what if you allocate this
> type with GetMem(sizeof(type))?)

I just want practical solutions to the problems I face daily. Making boiler plate constructors to initialize records is one of them. Maybe designing a programming paradigm and strictly adhering to it is works for you but I want to make my life easier and enjoy programming as much as I can.

Seriously though why shouldn’t init'ing records be easier? Do people like making constructors all the time and scrolling around to find them? I don’t know about the implications of the idea but if it’s too insanely complicated to manage then obviously it’s not worth it.

Regards,
	Ryan Joseph