[fpc-pascal] Feature announcement: Dynamic array extensions

Roger Rivero Jr. (SAMPA WebMaster) sampa at caonao.cu
Sun Jun 17 21:24:09 CEST 2018

Dear Sir:

I don´t like your way of answering. Period.

Mathematical operators on matrices (+, -, *, ~, etc.) have being defined
centuries ago, and all the scientific community uses the same
conventions on them. It´s not proper that somebody now would like to
redefine the conventions on his own will, regarless of the user´s
community opinions.

If you like an operator for concatenation, which is A WHOLE NEW FEATURE,
please use a different or invented operator. You can use concatenator
operarators borrowed from PHP ("."), Excel - VB ("&"), or invent your
own one ( +.   +~   +*   etc)

I firmly oppose to any of your intentions (define the + operator for
concatenation and allow user defined operators to take precedence). It
doesn´t make sense. It´s not logical.

Thank you for hearing at me, and my apologies for my rough language.

Best regards,

Roger Rivero

El 02/06/2018 a las 8:10, Sven Barth via fpc-pascal escribió:
> denisgolovan <denisgolovan at yandex.ru <mailto:denisgolovan at yandex.ru>>
> schrieb am Sa., 2. Juni 2018, 10:28:
>
>     Yes, I strongly support removing that functionality in favor of
>     user operator overloads or vector-compatible way.
>

> To clear something up: this new operator will definitely not be
> removed. Period.
>
> What might be done however (and what I had planned) is that existing
> overloads of the "+"-operator take precedence to the internal operator.
>
> Though I wouldn't mind introducing a syntax that can be used to force
> a element wise operation on a array. This way one wouldn't need to do
> the overload for the array, but the compiler would pick the operator
> of the element type instead.
>
> Regards,
> Sven

---