[fpc-pascal] Better usage of "with"

Ryan Joseph ryan at thealchemistguild.com
Thu Jun 14 14:48:12 CEST 2018

> On Jun 14, 2018, at 7:26 PM, Sven Barth via fpc-pascal <fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:
>
> Because one needs to be able to represent the properties in the RTTI. Without pointers all that is needed to access the property from code is an offset. With pointers you'd need to add where dereferences are required especially as the "path" to the final field could be more complex (e.g. Field1^.Field3.Field1.Field5^.FinalField).

I guess I don’t understand because I thought an offset to a pointer you dereference is as good as an offset to anything else. The property contains the ^ symbol so it should know to dereference the pointer at the offset right?

It would be so much nicer to do this with properties then making tons of boiler plate code that fills up the implementation and requires maintaining if you change names etc… If you could somehow do it inside the record (like c++) then it would be easier to maintain but in Pascal and separate implementation section it becomes a bit of a chore.

Regards,
	Ryan Joseph