[fpc-pascal] Realtime and freepascal???

Marc Santhoff M.Santhoff at web.de
Fri Jun 1 20:08:00 CEST 2018

On Wed, 2018-05-30 at 22:27 +0200, Darius Blaszyk wrote:

> My project is planned to do data acquisition, either storing data to flash
> memory or sending it over RF, not decided yet. Later on video should be
> incorporated, also over RF. There are also multiple analogue controllers
> planned to be implemented. Some "simple" bus system (such as CAN??) should
> allow easy extension with modules (for data acquisition as well as for the
> controllers). The response time should be in the order of 10ms ideally.

Normally this would not be done on one Machine. If so it is a big one, having
enough power for running (parts of) the OS in real time. My suggestion would
be to use a small embedded SoC and a OS or programming technique doing hard
real time and another one, RPi would fit here from 15$ or so upward, recording
and / or streaming video.

Regarding data acquisition it is really hard to decide which bus or
communicaation port to use if the target measuring hardware isn't known. Many
industrial installations use modbus on RS485.

> Hoping for some useful replies. Thanks in advance for all the tips and
> pointers!

http://wiki.freepascal.org/Operating_Systems_written_in_FPC
http://wiki.freepascal.org/ARM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_real-time_operating_systems