[fpc-pascal] Generics - extending TFPGObjectList

Vojtěch Čihák vojtech.cihak at atlas.cz
Thu Jul 26 13:40:06 CEST 2018

Thanks for reply.

Ad 2) I opened issue: https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=34037

Ad 1) Are there any plans for improvement of generic inheritance? Related to my example, instead of

    generic TFPGObjectListEx<T: TIDClass> = class (specialize TFPGObjectList<T>)

I would prefer simplier and more straightforward

    generic TFPGObjectListEx<T> = class (TFPGObjectList)

which will give programmers possibility to extend classes from FGL without any further constraints.

What if I fill feature request? :-)

Vojtěch

> Od: Sven Barth via fpc-pascal <fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org>
> Komu: fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org
> Datum: 26.07.2018 07:04
> Předmět: Re: [fpc-pascal] Generics - extending TFPGObjectList

Am 26.07.2018 um 02:31 schrieb Vojtěch Čihák:Hello,

I needed to extend TFPGObjectList and I found two wierd things (FPC 3.1.1 r39507):

program project1;
{$mode objfpc}{$H+}

uses
  Classes, FGL;

type
  TBaseClass = class (TObject)
  end;

  TIDClass = class (TBaseClass)
    ID: Integer;
  end;

  TNameIDClass = class (TIDClass)
    Name: string;
  end;

  generic TFPGObjectListEx<T: TIDClass> = class (specialize TFPGObjectList<TBaseClass>) //1 A
    function GetItemByID(AID: Integer): T;
  end;

  TNameIDList = class (specialize TFPGObjectListEx<TNameIDClass>)

  end;

{$R *.res}

function TFPGObjectListEx.GetItemByID(AID: Integer): T;
begin
  {...}
  Result:=nil; //2
end;

var NameIDList: TNameIDList;
    NameID: TNameIDClass;
begin
  NameID:=NameIDList.Items[0]; //1 B
end.

The demo does not compile because of two errors:
1) project1.lpr(38,21) Error: Incompatible types: got "TBaseClass" expected "TNameIDClass" at comment //1 B
It is caused by declaration at //1 A. Class TFPGObjectListEx can be really generic only if it is declared like this:
   generic TFPGObjectListEx<T: TIDClass> = class (specialize TFPGObjectList<T>) //1 A, otherwise you must retype TNameIDClass(Items[0]) and it is against the philosophy of generics. Isn't it meaningless? Why there must be specialize to <T> when in fact it is no specialization at all.

 You are not overriding the Items property, thus it will still be the Items property of TFPGObjectList<TBaseClass> and thus the compiler will rightfully complain at location 1 B. Using generics does not absolve you from usual inheritance problems.

2) project1.lpr(32,11) Error: Incompatible types: got "Pointer" expected "$gendef4" at comment //2
The line must be changed to
  Result:=T(nil);
which seems bizarre to me, I've never seen retyping "nil". Even more, both TFPGObjectList and TFPGObjectListEx are constrained to TObject and to TIDClass so there is safety, TFPGObjectListEx can be only specialized with types that have "nil" (<T> can never be <Integer>, for example).
Well, no one said that the generics are completely bug free... Especially in special situations that involve either Nil or type constraints (or in this case both). Please provide a simple example and open a bug report.

 Regards,
 Sven

 fpc-pascal maillist  -  fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org