[fpc-pascal] Syntax changes suggestions

R0b0t1 r030t1 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 16:01:11 CEST 2018

On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 12:20 AM, Sven Barth via fpc-pascal
<fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:
> Am 20.07.2018 um 00:53 schrieb Ben Grasset:
>>
>> If a feature works as intended and is useful (which is all that matters),
>> how is it "blind copying"?
>
> Because a feature might change the language in a way that's not in the
> spirit of the language. Look at how Delphi implemented attributes: they're
> declared in front of the types, fields, parameters, whatever, simply copied
> from how C# implemented them while in the spirit of Pascal they should have
> been *after* the declarations.

This is what bothers me about some of the Delphi extensions that are
requested, but also some things that are already in FPC. And like
other people have said: now it's too late. It's there forever, or a
length of time that is just as good when talking about software.

It's not to say all of these things are bad - it's just I wish more
thought would have gone into them. Perhaps that would mean changing
the feature so much that it doesn't resemble what was originally
proposed.

Cheers,
     R0b0t1