[fpc-pascal] Syntax changes suggestions

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 18 20:44:45 CEST 2018

Ryan Joseph <ryan at thealchemistguild.com> schrieb am Mi., 18. Juli 2018,
19:15:

> > On Jul 17, 2018, at 2:41 PM, Sven Barth via fpc-pascal <
> fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:
> >
> > There is a more important difference: the developers and the users. Only
> because the latters think an idea is good or probable the former do not
> necessarily need to agree. And don't forget that we, the developers work on
> this in our free time and thus don't have any interest on spending time on
> features that we don't believe in.
>
> that’s fair of course but what should be we do if we want to contribute?
> Remember I basically finished macros with parameters but what should I do
> now? The devs seemed to all really despise the idea but is there a formal
> channel I should use to  petition for the idea or something? I heard from
> maybe5 people that said it was a stupid idea (fair enough) but what do the
> rest of the FPC users say?

The devs have brought up reasons against the feature and you not accepting
or reasons against it is not a reason for us to accept your reasons for the
feature. And even if the majority of the users would be for the feature it
will always take someone to commit it and if none of the devs want your
feature than it won't be integrated. This is not a democracy.

And to give you a slightly different example: around a year ago or so I
implemented a IfThen() intrinsic that works like the if-statement, but as
an expression (like C's trinary ?: operator including not evaluating the
branch not taken). The majority of the users seemed to like it, but reasons
against it surfaced and so I reverted it again.

Regards,
Sven