[fpc-pascal] Syntax changes suggestions

Jim Lee jlee54 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 20:24:48 CEST 2018

On 07/17/18 11:00, Ryan Joseph wrote:

>> On Jul 17, 2018, at 11:27 AM, Jim Lee <jlee54 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Likewise, "modern" programming languages are all converging on a common feature set, like cultural cross-pollination.
> if that’s our mindset then how do we account for times when we’ve actually identified a common pattern that a language feature could address? I’m thinking of things like methods in records, for..in loops etc… that made it into the language and are widely adopted and enjoyed.
>
> Regards,
> 	Ryan Joseph

Well, if we keep with the cultural parallel, in all cultures people must
eat, sleep, drink, be born and die, etc.  There are a number of
commonalities simply because all involve humans.  My point is that a
language should not adopt a feature simply because it is useful in
another language.  It has to fit the spirit of the language as well.

Be careful of thinking that "useful" means "I can do the same thing in
language X in the same way I do it in language Y".  Eventually, X == Y.

-Jim