[fpc-pascal] Syntax changes suggestions

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Jul 17 12:26:37 CEST 2018

On Tue, 17 Jul 2018, Henry Vermaak wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 12:07:42PM +0200, Martin wrote:
>> >By not having this feature you're not giving anyone a choice.
>> >
>> By having this feature you are forcing everyone to use it.
>
> No, why would you think that?  Nobody is forcing you to move your
> variables into a block, just carry on as before if you don't like it.
> Var sections for functions are optional, you can use global variables
> for everything if you like.  No different to this.

The point under discussion is readability of code.

So, if I need to read someone elses code and this person uses this feature heavily,
then I end up being confronted with it, the readability of his code for me
is reduced.

Pascal has always been lauded for being readable.
I would like to keep it that way.

Michael.