[fpc-pascal] Syntax changes suggestions

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Tue Jul 17 11:32:24 CEST 2018

On 17/07/18 09:15, Henry Vermaak wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 03:02:42PM +0200, Sven Barth via fpc-pascal wrote:> Santiago A. <svaa at ciberpiula.net> schrieb am Mo., 16. Juli 2018, 13:41:> > > I have some suggestions of change to freepascal syntax, just to debate> >> > (All are backward compatible)> >> > - Declaring variables inside blocks, and loop variables> >> -> reduces readability -> no interest
> How can it reduce readability?  You move variables closer to where theyare used, therefore reducing clutter in the main "var" section.Limiting variable scope is definitely a good thing, I sure hope you'renot arguing against that.  That's why almost all languages encourage it.

Agreed, and that's /particularly/ the case with something like a loop
control variable which should not be assumed to have a predictable value
out-of-scope.

Wirth moved variables outside blocks to make Pascal incompatible with
ALGOL, since after the disastrous ALGOL-68 fiasco he wanted to plough
his own furrow. That doesn't necessarily make the decision a wise one.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk