[fpc-pascal] Syntax changes suggestions

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 17 07:20:34 CEST 2018

Am 17.07.2018 um 04:48 schrieb Ryan Joseph:

>> On Jul 16, 2018, at 7:02 AM, Sven Barth via fpc-pascal <fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:
>>
>> Might come, though not in that way (take your example: what if you pass the instance to some other code that stores it beyond the life time of the function)
> That’s what you guys said about my awesome “stack alias” idea. :) Seriously though I don’t for the life of me understand why programmers can’t be trusted to not do this. You can pass dangling pointers since forever but no one is asking pointers to be removed because they’re too dangerous.
Because they are programmers. They simply do it their way. And I'm
especially talking about code written by two different programmers, one
storing the instance somewhere and the other passing in an "auto"
instance without knowing that the other programmer is storing it somewhere.
> Auto is a good idea. Allocating the “auto” classes the memory backend on the stack (my “stack alias” idea) is even better because you don’t need the memory manager too be involved.
No, it's not. And we don't *want* to change the paradigm of TObject.

Regards,
Sven