[fpc-pascal] AppImage

Rainer Stratmann rainerstratmann at t-online.de
Tue Jan 16 21:08:02 CET 2018

Am Dienstag, 16. Januar 2018, 19:41:38 schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:
> On 2018-01-16 06:51, Sven Barth via fpc-pascal wrote:
> > So, yeah, I'm definitely skeptical about such approaches.
>
> All valid points. But if it was such a big concern, then why was Apple
> happy to go with it. Maybe the concern is not so bad. As for bigger apps
> (due to bundled dependencies).... That might have been a concern years
> back, but nobody seems to care now about large apps. Hell, even websites
> are now 5+MB per page downloads (massive JavaScript libraries, huge
> high-res images etc). View a few pages and you have downloaded some 50MB
> easily.

Yes.

This is a very understandable constructive propagation. Everyone who can think
right, especially from the view of a user should say, yes it is easy and good.

And yes, memory is enough there today. Since some years already.

My way is always a separate directory with all in it and an entry application.

And the key is to try to generate as less dependencies as possible.

Better less functionallity but almost working and extensible than an
obstructive dependency.