[fpc-pascal] Generics vs templates

Giuliano Colla giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
Tue Jan 9 00:58:54 CET 2018

Il 08/01/2018 21:30, Graeme Geldenhuys ha scritto:

> I was horified to find out how much slower Delphi's Generics were
> compared to TList and TObjectList

I don't expect FPC behave much better. Whenever you move something from
compile time to execution time you may gain in flexibility, but you
surely lose in performance. Whenever a generic can be replaced by an if
.. then .. else .., using a generic is just an useless performance killer.
The same holds true for using a TObject, when a record would be enough
or for using an Interface instead of just linking the appropriate
library when this would be possible (see Lazarus vs fpGui!).

Giuliano