[fpc-pascal] Generating RTL Units for STM32 Processors

Michael Ring mail at michael-ring.org
Wed Feb 28 18:27:50 CET 2018

Am 28.02.18 um 03:22 schrieb R0b0t1:
> On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 2:43 AM, Michael Ring <mail at michael-ring.org> wrote:
>> The process is completely automated and is based on converting the header
>> files that come in the CMSIS packages of the processors.
>>
> Excellent! What about the startup assembly files? I see an equivalent,
> it is autogenerated too?

Nope, those were created manually (from Jeppe), the one relevant for the
STM32L432KC is cortexm4f_start.inc
It will automagically be included when you add definitions for the chip.

>> I will send you the file for that chip via pm, you will also have to tweak
>> compiler/systems/t_embed.pas compiler/arm/cpuinfo.pas but this is pretty
>> straightforward, only extend both structs for the processors.
>>
> Yes, I forgot about this, but it does sound easy. Which chip?

STM32L432KC

if you plan to some some serious development I can provide you a patch
file for including the whole stm32l4 family

>> There is a second class of Headerfiles that were done half automated (afaik)
>> by Jeppe Johansen that covers the STM32F7 series. Those Headers more closely
>> match the STM32 code C-code examples but are a lot less portable to other
>> chips (Microchip etc...)
>>
> Where are these?
Take a look at github:

https://github.com/Laksen/fp-stm32f7xx_hal

great for stm32f7, but changing this to stm32l4 is a heroic effort ;-)

> I have some interest in exploring a wide variety of platforms with
> FPC. When doing so using C, I have unfortunately found that
> portability only half-exists between chips of the same family from the
> same manufacturer.
>
> My interest in FPC is partly an interest in increased portability, but
> that may need to be achieved in some other way than a HAL. This may be
> due to how peripheral mappings are supplied. Perhaps there is a better
> way I do not know about. Large projects such as
> https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware manage.

I have done my own platform independant lib for stm32(f0)/f1/f3/f4 and
pic32 with a focus on low memory consumption, if you are interested I
can put it on github, still some loose ends as I only have implemented
what I needed.

> I will be following up with you off list, since you do not seem to mind.

let's stay on list, there are others like Christo who may be interested.

Michael