[fpc-pascal] Is this the correct way to configure fpc for multiple arm-embedded subarchs?

Christo christo.crause at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 21:35:40 CET 2018

On Mon, 2017-12-04 at 08:22 +0100, Michael Ring wrote:
> Hi Florian!
>
> I would like to work on this patch, can you share it with me?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Michael
>

> Am 03.12.17 um 19:05 schrieb Florian Klämpfl:

> > > There is a similar problem with the AVR target having several
> > > subarchitectures.  One option I think is to have a subarch defined by
> > > the compiler, then it would be easy to lay out the compiled unit
> > > structure in fpc.cfg according to subarch.  I've made an attempt at
> > > adding a subarch define to my local compiler source for AVR, but
> > > haven't developed the idea further.  I'm not a compiler dev so there
> > > may be better options.
> > Subarch directories are imo the best solution, I have a half-backen patch for this, not yet
> > finished
> > though.

I've made a script file (attached) that iterates through the different subarchitectures
available for the AVR compiler, calls make and then moves the compiled units to a subdirectory.
I think the logic of this script should be moved to the existing rtl makefile so that all
subarchitectures for a target gets generated and sorted in one go.  Of course then the default
fpc.cfg ideally needs to be updated to reflect the subarch folder structure for ARM and AVR.

I'm putting this out there hoping that someone familiar with the topic and makefile syntax can
help with a patch for FPC.