[fpc-pascal] Candidate for crowd-funding

denisgolovan denisgolovan at yandex.ru
Wed Dec 19 11:41:47 CET 2018

>> - Custom/separate allocators for dynamic arrays (to avoid manually patching compiler).
>
> Why do you need that?

Besides ordinary arrays I allocate/use arrays backed by mmaped files.
Existing functions taking arrays as arguments mostly remain working transparently.
That's a huge win in code size and allow zero-copy scenarios.

Besides that, I am able provide special alignment for arrays.
That also would be necessary to vector/SSE/AVX work.

>> - inline assembler function support
>
> The main problem here is to model what registers an instruction uses and modifies so that the register allocator of the surrounding function can take that into account accordingly... Maybe as a first step we could allow in lining for funcrions that have a register clause with the touched registers...
> But yes, in the long term this would definitely be nice.

Agree. Register clause will ease a lot of pain.

>> - proper macro language perhaps
>
> No. We already rejected such an idea some months ago.

Ok. Looks like m4 will be my friend forever :)

Denis Golovan