[fpc-pascal] Will moving from due core CPU to 6 Core CPU of the same clock speed improve the speed of FPC compiling?

Vojtěch Čihák vojtech.cihak at atlas.cz
Mon Aug 6 15:11:31 CEST 2018

And the gain will be lost after installing Spectre patches, where is measured performance loss is 1~3%.

V.

On 06/08/2018 11:27, Dennis wrote:
 > I have been using Intel i3 Dual Core CPU @3.4 GHz for a few years.
 > If I upgrade my computer and CPU to Intel Core i5 6-core @3.6GHz,
 > will the speed of FPC compilation improve noticeably?
 >
 > Since FPC seems to be single threaded, I wonder whether 0.2GHz
 > increase in clock speed will make any noticeable improvement in speed.
 Assuming you only change the CPU, and nothing else...

Despite that do the math. It's approx 5% diff. So on 60 seconds compile
 time you could in theory save a bit over 3 seconds. (But you will
 probably get less)
 fpc-pascal maillist  -  fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org